History

“In the evening of April 13, 1948, a group of people met in the home of Bro. & Sister Coffey for the purpose of organizing a New Testament Church”.  These were the opening minutes of our church’s beginning.  Led by Pastor Thomas Raines, 58 charter members committed themselves to that task of maintaining a lighthouse for the Gospel of Christ in Porterville.

Later that same year the church purchased property at 1905 W. Putnam and erected a large tent in which we met for two years.  On December 2, 1950, our first building was dedicated and served as our house of worship for many years to come.  Having outgrown our first building, our church purchased the old Methodist building located at 165 East Putnam in 1974, and the building currently serves our congregation.  Built in 1906, this building was extensively remodeled in 2007 which greatly improved the appearance and functionality.

Throughout our history, our church has been very active in mission work, both locally and worldwide.  Our Pastor, Thomas McCright has served our church since 1997.